Skip to main content

10 Simple Lifestyle Changes towards Swachh Bharat, Climate Action

Sustainability, Energy, Globe, Renewable, Earth, World

A volunteer shares a few lifestyle changes he has adopted over past few years as his contribution towards a clean India and climate action:

1. Consumerism has done a lot of harm to the society. This rat race of owning things to look cool or for self-esteem has led people to BUY things they DON'T need. I buy ONLY what is necessary. Following the first R in waste management REDUCE, REUSE RECYCLE.

2. I try to REUSE whatever waste I have in some or the other form. For example, using an expired credit card as a key chain. Or I use thermocol packing material as a mini stand for my laptop, using old towel as a mop, a discarded CD as a tea-coaster etc.

3. I own a car and a scooter but I commute to office by metro. I use metro as extensively as possible. Imagine doing that in a city that's obsessed with the culture of showing off! I walk to places within 1-1.5 kms. I'll take a scooter only if it's a time-critical errand. For long distances, I take scooter only if there is no last-mile connectivity by metro available. I use car as a last option, in cases such as when we have to go for our spotfixes - so I can carry a lot of paint buckets, brushes etc. and also a few volunteers.

4. I minimize my water usage as well. At my home we use AC water to water plants or maybe for cleaning and mopping purposes.

5. None of us in my family likes to waste food. So when at home we cook in a limited quantity and even then if it's left, we consume it later. If we are out we will always start with a little in our plates and we always ensure we consume the entire portion in our plates.

6. I don't shop much. Even if I do I don't take ANY bag from shopping mall even if it's free. No cloth bag, no paper bag either. I believe whenever we buy something we have generated waste. So I try to minimize my consumption at all levels - by carrying my own bag. I don't shop online much because the packaging material itself creates a lot of waste!

7. All electrical appliances in my house have a BEE Energy Star rating of 5. Meaning they are energy efficient. I even use my AC at 26 degrees, unlike people who have the habit of running it between 16 to 23 degrees. It just works fine for me even though my room doesn't have any more room above and is under direct exposure to scorching heat of Delhi's Sun. My laptop also runs on energy saving mode. Its screen turns off in case the laptop is idle for 5 mins.

8. When at home, I prefer to sit in a room with natural daylight. That ways I don't have to use lights and I save on electricity. Saving electricity is very important because 60% of India's power generation still depends on fossil fuels, that contribute to pollution.

9. I don't urinate in the open even in the highest matters of urgencies. I'll try to locate a nearest possible toilet. It's not that tough. If a Sulabh toilet isn't available I visit a nearest restaurant or a mall or a petrol pump.

10. I segregate plastic waste from normal waste and would eventually move to complete waste segregation.

Personally, it's not that difficult to follow the above. And I take pride in whatever I do towards reducing my carbon and garbage footprint. And eventually for a clean Delhi and a clean India.

-

Follow us on Instagram Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Popular posts from this blog

An Experience with Home Composting

Home-made Compost My Motivation There can be different motivating factors for composting your organic waste at home. Compost is an excellent source of nutrition for your plants and home composting ensures it is free of any added chemicals. However, I do not have many plants at the ground floor, where I live. So, my motivation was different. I wanted to start the practice of segregating our household waste into: Wet Waste including kitchen waste such as fruits and vegetable peels, leftover raw food etc. Dry Waste including plastic, paper, cardboard etc. Why Segregate? It is important to segregate our waste because doing so makes waste a resource. Wet waste can yield products like compost and dry waste can be recycled. In both cases we can reduce our contribution to our local dhalaos . These dhalaos become a breeding spot for flies and other insects that are harmful to our health. Further, segregating also ensures that your waste collector won’t have to put thei

Native Trees Nursery Expansion

50+ more saplings added! We are reusing waste plastic packets as grow bags to set up our own nursery of native trees. Our volunteers added 50+ bakain saplings to our green bank. This nursery will help us become ‘atmanirbhar’ (self-reliant). We’ll be using them in our plantation drives.

Covid-safe Waste Segregation Workshop in Vikas Puri

Did you know that the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) has begun penalizing RWAs that are not giving segregated waste to the waste collectors? If not, it’s ok. Many aren’t aware. But this caught the attention of one of our volunteers whose neighbourhood falls under the SDMC. And we believe it’s a great opportunity to push various resident welfare associations (RWA) even further. We have been pursuing the RWA of block AG 1 in Vikas Puri in west Delhi. Fortunately, the news of SDMC penalizing RWAs acted as a wake up call and things seem to be falling into place. We were requested to conduct a workshop on the same discussing various aspects of waste management, segregation at source, its increased significance in covid times and role of waste collectors. Also, we have been asked to help with the roadmap and execution of the same. In the coming few days we are going to use all our learning from our Sarita Vihar experience to replicate the same model here, which involved educating t